Last updated: November 23rd, 2018
Collection of Information
Information we collect depends on how you interact with us, the Services you use, and the choices you make. We collect and process information about you with your consent and/or as necessary to provide the products and services you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our customers, or fulfill other legitimate interests.
We collect information about you in various ways when you use our Services, including information you provide directly, information collected automatically, and third-party data sources.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, post a listing, make a payment, write a review, communicate with other users through our Services or participate in any other interactive features of the Services. We also collect information when you communicate with us via third party social media sites, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include basic user information (such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number, photos, gender, and date of birth); user IP address and browser identification information; teacher/tutor qualification information (such as age, education, years spent teaching, current employer); minor child/student information (such as name, age, location, current school); tax information (including social security or other tax identification number for Tutor Service Providers); and any other information you choose to provide (including the content of any communications you send and receive through the Services).
We may also collect and store limited payment information from you, such as payment card type, expiration date and a portion of your payment card number; however, we do not store or have access to full payment card numbers as all transactions are processed by our third-party payment processors.
If you are a Tutor Service Provider, we and our third-party service providers may also collect certain personal information from you for purposes of verifying your identity.
In you are a Tutor Seeker registered on behalf of your minor child/student, we may also collect information you provide about the minor child/student, such as name, age, location and current school. In such case, we will use this information solely to fulfill your request of obtaining a Tutor Service Provider, and not for any other purposes.
When you are asked to provide information, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide information that is necessary for certain services or features, those services or features may not be available or function correctly.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers and mobile network information.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to operate our Services and collect information, including cookies and web beacons (collectively, “Cookies”). Most browsers are set to accept cookies.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to mailing list providers, partners with whom we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities, agencies that conduct background checks and publicly available sources. Additionally, if you create or log into your account through a social media site, we will have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, account information and friends lists, in accordance with the authorization procedures determined by such social media site.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes as described in this Privacy Statement or disclosed to you in connection with our Services, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services;
- Facilitate and process transactions and send you related information, including booking and payment confirmations and tax documentation (if required);
- Enable communications between you and other users of the Services;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Enable the mediation of disputes between users of the Services;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards, and events offered by TTN and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of TTN and others;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information is collected.
Sharing of Information
We may share information about you with third parties, including your personal data and communications, as follows or as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement:
- When you make or accept a booking, certain information is shared between the Tutor Seeker and Tutor Service Provider, including names, you address, minor child/student information and any other information you choose to share through the Services;
- When you sign up for and participate in the interactive areas of our Services (such as when you create a user profile or write a review), certain information about you may be displayed publicly, such as your name, photo, availability (if you are a Tutor Service Provider), and location;
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property or safety of TTN, its employees, its users (including their minor children/students), or the public;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, acquisition, divestiture, bankruptcy, dissolution, or other transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer or divestiture of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company;
- Between and among TTN and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other forms media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of information collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
TTN takes reasonable measures designed to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Transfer and Location of Information
The information we collect will be stored and processed in the United States. The processing locations are chosen in order to operate efficiently, to improve performance, and to create redundancies in order to protect information in the event of an outage or other problem. We take steps designed to ensure that the information we collect under this statement is processed according to the provisions of this statement and applicable law.
Retention of Information
We retain information for as long as necessary to provide the Services and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. Because these needs can vary for different information types in the context of different products, actual retention periods can vary significantly based on criteria such as user expectations or consent, the sensitivity of the information, the availability of automated controls that enable users to delete information, and our legal or contractual obligations.
You may request to update, correct or delete information about you at any time by logging into your online account. If you cannot do so from your account, you may call us at (908) 309-2257. If you wish to deactivate your account, please call us at (908) 309-2257. We may decline requests that are unreasonable, excessive, prohibited by law, could adversely affect the privacy or other rights of another person, where we are unable to authenticate you as the person to whom the information relates, or are not required to be honored by applicable law. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
You may choose whether you wish to receive marketing emails from TTN by updating your “Notifications” preferences under “Account Settings” in your online TTN profile. If you receive marketing emails and you wish to opt-out, you may also do so by clicking “Unsubscribe” in those emails. If you opt out of receiving marketing emails, we may still send you Service-related emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations, and surveys or other informational communications that may have their own unsubscribe method.
As permitted by applicable law, we may send marketing and/or service-related text messages to your mobile device.
You may opt out of receiving some or all of these messages by updating your “Notifications” preferences under “Account Settings” in your online TTN profile (these settings are not available in-app). If you provide your mobile device number, certain Tutor Services or features may require you to receive service-related messages by text. If you do not want to receive these service-related text messages, then, in addition to adjusting your Notifications preferences, you must withdraw from providing such services or using such features. Further information about required acceptance of text messages by Service Providers can be found in the Terms of Service applicable to your location (or as notified to you elsewhere via the TTN Service).
The mobile device provided must be that of the Tutor Service Provider or Tutor Seeker, as applicable. You may not provide the mobile device number of your minor child/student. If a Tutor Seeker provides the mobile device number of the minor child/student, (1) TTN reserves the right to cancel your membership with the Services and (2) TTN shall not be liable for any marketing and/or service related text messages sent to a minor child/student.
European Data Protection Rights
If the processing of information about you is subject to European Union data protection law, you have certain rights with respect to that information:
- You can request access to, and rectification or erasure of, information;
- If any automated processing of information is based on your consent or a contract with you, you have a right to transfer or receive a copy of your information in a usable and portable format;
- If the processing of information is based on your consent, you can withdraw consent at any time for future processing;
- You can to object to, or obtain a restriction of, the processing of information under certain circumstances; and
- For residents of France, you can send us specific instructions regarding the use of your information after your death.
If you have any questions, concerns, or complaints about this Privacy Statement, please contact us:
- By phone: (908) 309-2257
- By e-mail: [email protected]
- By mail: P.O. Box 162 Little Silver, NJ 07739